This is my husband’s favourite dish, especially when it is served with fried mackerel (galunggong or gg). I say, the hardest part here is the cleaning task. It took me 45 minutes to brush and wash 2 kilograms of mussels. So, if you can buy CLEANED fresh mussels, better, better, better. Not to mention, I woke up 6 A.M. to get to the wet market for me to buy the fresh catch. Allot 30 minutes of your time for cooking and 15 minutes for eatingJ. So without further ado, let’s welcome, Mussel Ginger Soup.
Prep Time : 30 - 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serve 2 - 3 Persons
- 2 Kgs Fresh Mussels (cleaned)
- 1 thumb sized ginger (sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 3 stems spring onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp Nam-pla (fish sauce)
- 5-6 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Sauté ginger, garlic and onion.
- Add the nam-pla, mussels and water (just enough to cover the mussels).
- Allow to boil in medium heat until the mussels open.
- Season with salt and pepper depend on your taste.
- For the last minute, sprinkle the spring onion.
- Remove from heat and serve with mackerel and boiled rice.