You can find plenty of macaroon recipes out there. Methods of making one may differ from another. Different countries have their own popular recipes too. According to Wikipedia, "the word macaroon came from Italian word maccarone which is derived from the word ammaccare that means to bruise." This gives us the idea why toasting or discoloration of the outer part must be attained.
Most recipes of macaroons call for egg whites only. But the recipe that I have with me uses the whole egg. Check it out and hope you'll like it.
250 grams desiccated coconut
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1/4 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
200 grams condensed milk
2.5 ml vanilla essence
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Whisk the desiccated coconut, butter, sugar, eggs, condensed milk and vanilla essence until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop the coconut mixture into small cupcake cases and arrange them an inch apart on a baking tray.
- Put the tray in the bottom third of the oven. Bake the macaroons for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes. Transfer the macaroons to a wire rack and let it cool there completely.
- Your finished products are good for a week as long as it kept in airtight container.