Sinigang is one of the famous Filipino dishes. This is often serve when the weather is cold as the sour soup helps to warm the body. You can actually use any meat you like, may it be a fish, pork, beef, or shrimp.
Traditionally, fresh tamarind is use to give flavor to the soup. But there are sinigang recipe mix that you can buy in Asian stores. There are different varieties to choose from; sinigang na may gabi, sinigang na may sili or the original sinigang sa sampalok. This will also give you the same zesty flavor you hope to achieve.
|Sinigang na Hipon|
1/2 kilo large shrimps (sugpo)
1 onion (cut in quarters)
2 tomatoes (cut in quarters)
1 medium size radish
3 taro (gabi)
1 cup string beans (sitaw)
2 cups spinach (to replace kangkong)
1 pack Knorr Sinagang na may Gabi
3 green chilli
1 liter water
1 liter water
fish sauce (dipping sauce)
|Ingredients of Sinigang na Hipon|
- Put water, onion and tomatoes in a large pot. Let it boil.
- Upon boiling, stir in the taro, radish and string beans. Simmer the vegetables for another 5 minutes.
- Add the Knorr sinigang recipe mix and green chillies and let it boil for another 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimps and simmer the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally stir in the spinach. Add some salt if you wish. Let it simmer again for another minute.
- Serve hot with rice.